Connecticut Library Buildings on the National Register of Historic Places
This week, April 8-14, 2018, is National Library Week and Integral Storage Solutions is celebrating with a look at special libraries in the region.
First sponsored in 1958, National Library Week is a national observance sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries across the country each April. It is a time to celebrate the contributions of our nation’s libraries and librarians and to promote library use and support. All types of libraries – school, public, academic and special – participate.
At Integral Storage Solutions, we are particularly proud to have worked with some very special library clients over the years, including the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, the Mondor-Eagan Library of Anna Maria College and the Allen Memorial Library at the University of Hartford.
We are also proud of the many Historic Places in our home state of Connecticut. So this National Library Week, we are also celebrating the libraries in Connecticut that are recognized by the National Register of Historic Places.
Our latest video highlights these historic places, many of which are still operating as libraries today, as well as some that have found new life as historical societies and office buildings.
These historic library buildings include:
http://roundupfornolensville.org/?p=509 Plumb Memorial Library
This architecturally distinguished Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by Bridgeport architect Charles T. Beardsley, Jr. and built in 1895.
click to read more Connecticut State Library
Built in 1908, the building design was based on an adaptation of the Italian Renaissance style of architecture.
F. H. Cossitt Public Library
The Queen Anne style building was designed by Jasper Daniel Sibley and built in 1890.
West End Library
The Renaissance style building was designed by New York City architect Edward Tilton, and completed in 1917 with funding from Andrew Carnegie.
The building was constructed in 1892 by George Keller, August Budde & George W. Calder in a Richardsonian Romanesque style.
Harcourt Wood Memorial Library
The library was built on land donated by the Sarah Riggs Humphreys Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The Romanesque Revival building was constructed in 1884 with funds donated by industrialist John Fox Slater.
Southington Public Library
The fine local example of Classical Revival architecture now houses the Southington Historical Center.
Scoville Memorial Library
In the early 1890s, the gray granite building was built from native stone quarried near Lion’s Head Road.
Curtis Memorial Library
Designed by New Haven architect Richard Williams in the Classical Revival style, the building now houses the Augusta Curtis Cultural Center.
Taylor Memorial Library
This Richardsonian Romanesque building, designed by Joseph W. Northrop, was built in 1894.
New London Public Library
The library was given to the city by Henry Philomen Haven in 1889.
Aldrich Free Public Library
This architecturally significant Queen Anne building was constructed in 1895.
All content is public domain via Wikipedia or used via Creative Commons Attribution License. Photo Credits: Jerry Dougherty, Connecticut State Library, NancyPeluso, Sphilbrick, Doug Kerr, Derby Public Library, Thundersnow, Southington Historical Center, Phinisi Stuart, Sgt. R.K. Blue, Milford Chamber of Commerce, Beyond My Ken, Eumenes12